Tuesday 26 August 2014

expectations

The first experience always feels like the best especially when there was no expectation or maybe i should say, low expectations, attached to it. Everything is a gift when it is not expected, everything feels extra juicy! 

I watched my cousin dig into a mussel at lunch. He didn't like mussels to begin with but went along with us to Belgo for the Belgian experience out of courtesy to my Belgian husband. I watched as he ate the first mussel how his face went from uncertainty to curiosity (like he was questioning if it was right), to being completely lit up with delight! He ate the whole pot of it and was full of gratitude for the experience.

Equally this summer, i watched many waves of disappointment in the reverse. When people would come to something new, carrying with them the expectation to experience something similar to what they had previously experienced. I do this myself sometimes....and have to remind myself, why am i expecting a similar experience, instead of being open to a new one?? I guess, ultimately, we are creatures of habit and feel more comfortable in what we know. 

Step into the unknown and see what happens :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment