Friday 7 November 2014

2. Action- Align With Courage

Red Hot Yogis, this is part 2 of our discussion xx

Hatha Yoga Pradipika 1.16 
The following six bring speedy success:-- Courage, daring, perseverance, discriminative knowledge, faith, aloofness from company

Yoga Sutra of Patanjali 2.46
sthira sukham asanam
Practicing yoga with strength and in a relaxed manner gives rise to harmony with the physical body (asana)

I get questioned sometimes,

"why is it so hard. i thought yoga was relaxing"

Well... there are many types of practice out there and I think it is good to know why. Why you are taking the challenging approach and why you are taking the soft, relaxing approach. What is it that you are ultimately working towards. And to be honest, whatever your answer is, both approaches will provide the same outcome. 

I have always leaned towards the challenging practices. Maybe this is because by nature I am more athletic and a bit A-type in personality, so this practice appeals to me. Many have told me that because of my personality, I should choose a softer practice. I tried it, and to be honest, I feel they give me the same outcome so i choose the practice that I enjoy the most.

A challenging practice is so powerful. Through the years, it has informed me of what I am capable of. Not just what my body is capable of- your body, it is capable of doing incredible things if you are committed to your practice. But what I mean is that, the practice keeps revealing a strength that is not something new that has to be acquired, but something available that can be awakened. At times when I have been most insecure, my practice would remind me, over and over of my capabilities to stay focused, and grounded and clear. It does this by revealing my tenacious spirit.

But equally, this practice has tamed my ego and kept it real! It fiercely reminds me that I cannot rule the world (or master every pose) It has revealed my tendencies and shined them so brightly that I could not ignore them (i have lazy qualities, perfectionism, stubbornness, etc- all the usual stuff everyone has to deal with on some level) It consistently reveals my fears and encourages me to deal with them. 

But don't just take my word for it. The two texts commonly used by yoga schools prescribe it for Hatha Yoga. Ha-tha actually also means willfully or with force. Strangely, this definition is seldom heard. Yes, it means sun-moon also. Sun, the quality of fire, strength, moon the quality of water, softness. I love the yoga sutra verse sthira sukham asanam. It says, yoga practice should be practiced with strength, but it should be comfortable, easeful, joyful, some definitions even say happy!

Ultimately, what you choose has to work for you. Practice mindfully. When you practice, you are feeding your cells with information. Your body is like a super computer. It remembers everything. But it is also good at letting go of those things that no longer serves you so do not be afraid of the 'bad practice'. It is equally important to have days when it sucks! All this information, from doing the physical asana, to the thoughts and feelings that arise during practice, is stored in your cells and feeds your daily life. So feed it well! Challenge your boundaries with patience and respect for your body and your spirit. 

Thank you for reading!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment